Center for Healthy Eating and Activity Research
Behavioral Health Clinic
The CHEAR Behavioral Health Clinic provides evidence-based behavioral and mental health services for children, adolescents and adults. Our clinicians specialize in a wide variety of eating and weight-related disorders including binge eating, weight loss/management, gastroenterology problems, picky eating, as well as eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder, and avoidant restrictive food intake Disorder (ARFID). Treatment is available in an individual or a family setting and typically takes place once a week. We take some forms of insurance as well as having an affordable sliding scale fee for those whose insurance will not cover treatment at CHEAR.
Every family/individual receives a 90-minute clinical assessment (i.e., intake) in person at our office. Once the initial clinical assessment is complete, the clinician will discuss any relevant diagnosis, treatment recommendations and, if needed or requested, community referrals. An individualized treatment plan is then created to identify specific behaviors or emotions that people wish to change in order to reduce their suffering and improve their health and quality of life.
Areas of treatment include: restricting/dieting, purging, anxiety, emotion dysregulation, bingeing, excessive exercise, depression, and obesity/weight loss.
To inquire more about clinic services, please contact us at (855) UCSD-W8 or (855) 827-3498. You can reach the clinic directly at (858) 246-1654.
what is the chear clinic?
- We are an outpatient therapy clinic.
- Our therapists are Marriage and Family Therapist Trainees and Interns working towards licensure who are supervised by a licensed clinical psychologist.
- We provide evidence-based psychotherapy and our therapists specialize in a wide variety of eating and weight-related issues dealing with the behaviors needed to be healthy.
- Your therapist will typically meet with you and/or your family once a week for 50 minutes, but this can be adjusted to meeting more or less often throughout treatment depending on preference and need.
- The first appointment will be about 90 minutes for assessment.
- Your payment will be due each session in cash or check made out to UC Regents.
- Your payment will be either from our sliding scale (determined based on your income level) or determined by your insurance company.
- Our clinic is open from 9am – 3pm Monday through Friday.
- We are located at 8950 Villa La Jolla Drive, Suite C203, La Jolla, CA 92037.