Center for Healthy Eating and Activity Research
Our outpatient program provides evidence-based behavioral and mental health services to children, adolescents and adults who suffer from a variety of eating and weight-related disorders including binge eating, bulimia nervosa, overeating, emotional eating, weight loss/management, and gastroenterology problems. Treatment is available in a group, individual or family setting and typically takes place once a week.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Family Based Treatment (FBT)
- Parent Management Training
- Behavioral Weight Loss (BWL)
- Regulation of Cues (ROC)
- And more!
Our outpatient groups are offered during daytime and evening hours year-round and provide emotional, cognitive, and physiological tools to manage emotional eating and binge eating. Each group rotates between 16 week increments of Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and Regulation of Cues (RoC). Each of these treatments is evidence-based to reduce emotional and binge eating episodes. To learn more about these treatments please see below:
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT):
- The goal of DBT is to teach individuals alternative adaptive ways to deal with strong emotions and distress rather than using food to cope.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT):
- The focus of CBT is identifying unhelpful thoughts and behaviors and changing these to reduce likelihood of emotional or binge eating.
Regulation of Cues (ROC):
- Developed by Dr. Kerri Boutelle, Ph.D., CHEAR Director, for individuals who engage in emotional eating or binge eating.
- Currently one of the only evidenced-based treatments in the country that teaches participants to reduce overeating and binge eating episodes by:
- Paying attention to hunger and satiety signals
- Differentiating between hunger and craving
- Learning to resist highly craved foods.
Individual therapy is also available for binge eating, overeating, emotional eating, weight loss, bulimia and comorbid disorders (depression, anxiety). We do accept a number of insurance plans.